BloodChild


Bloodchild

November 20, 2017


         When I first started reading, my initial reaction was confusion as to what was going on. The story begins with talk about eggs, and aging, and so on. As I continued, I realized this was from the  point of view of humans along with aliens. The main character seems to be human, but the other did not seem human. It was strange reading the parts about the alien basically eating the person because she seemed to sound like another human being, yet she surely was not. She spoke like one, but didn't necessarily act like one, which was interesting. She also appeared to feel emotions towards things and people based on events that occurred with humans in the past. Overall, my reaction is that the story caught my attention. It's interesting since I don't read many alien stories.
          Some of the connections I made with the story is the aspect of doing something to help someone else, even if it will have a negative outcome towards yourself. In the story the main character wanted to die rather than carry the offspring of the alien. If he did that, his sister would have had to carry them instead. He didn't want that to happen to her, so he made the decision to stay alive and carry them instead. The alien knew that he did this for her, but allowed it anyways. She also feared guns and didn't want that in the presence of her future offspring. Another connection is probably the fear of defending yourself towards someone bigger than you. Towards the end he finally spoke out for himself and also punched the other guy to make him leave.

          If I changed the story into another medium, I would probably see it best as a movie, or graphic novel. Since the story is short, there's a lot of things that can be added while still keeping the story intact. I'm not sure if I would remove much, since there's not much to remove, but I can definitely see more being added to define the story and visually enhance what they are explaining. Same goes for a graphic novel. You can extend the story with imagery. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 6 - The Hobbit

Week 12 - The Haunted Vagina